Fire Service in Faringdon
Managed by the Vestry(pdf), appliance was possibly kept in the building on Church St.
Manual appliance housed under Old Town Hall
1st motorised appliance, garaged at Bromsgrove and managed by Faringdon RDC
Under Marlborough House, Marlborough St. Part of the National Fire Service til 1948, then Berkshire County Council until 1974
1974 to present day
1st purpose built fire station, 6 Station Road, Oxfordshire County Council
The Fire Brigade used a hand pump, towed by horses, for many years. 14 men were needed to operate it.
In the 1920s the hand pump was replaced by a mechanical pump which was towed by a lorry ( breakdown lorry from Ann's garage). The first motorised vehicle and personnel carrier was bought in 1930s.
Faringdon Firemen were sent to London, Southampton, Bristol, Exeter,Coventry, during the Blitz.
Crown Hotel Fire, January and November 1973 (pdf 2.8 mb)
Various fires in Faringdon from 1847 to 1936 (pdf 6.6mb)
Retirement of Firemen 1940 to 1995 (pdf 3.8mb)
London St Fire 1963 (pdf 2.8mb)